Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Born This Way

In the Gay Rights Movement there has been a constant debate between anti- gay conservatives and gay activists. The conservatives believe that homosexuality is similar to a disease or an addiction, something to be treated. It is also believed that homosexuals have chosen this “unnatural” way of living. On the other side of the spectrum are the gay rights activists who proudly exclaim “we were born this way.”  I don’t personally take a stance on either side. Whether someone is born with the desire or makes a conscientious decision at a later date is no business of mine or anyone else's. And, more importantly, what’s wrong with “choosing” to be gay?

“…Some glands control desire. I don’t believe that. I think desire is mysterious, but I don’t think it’s genetic. I’d like to think I’m gay because I want to be.” – John Weir, “Like a Virgin”

Even during an era where there seems to be great strides in the LGBT community, there is still a need to justify the act of homosexuality. A need to explain why you are this way. However, no one seems to question society’s standard of heterosexuality. I may be argued down about this but I equate homosexuality to a preference, just like any other. I have a preference of men and that’s my right. Is it wrong? It’s definitely not. But are my friends’ preferences of the same sex, or both sexes, wrong? Not at all.

The need to question someone’s sexuality doesn't cease with the straight community. Bisexuals' motives are questioned within their own communities as well. Some view them as going through a phase between hetero and homo-sexuality and others question their loyalty. And again I question why this is anyone's business but that of the person involved. I can continue to support the LGBT community without being a lesbian or bisexual. Am I not remaining loyal to the straight community by doing so?


We as a global community are so quick to past judgment based on what we perceive as the “right” way to do something. Why not exert all of this unnecessary "need to know" mentality to a worthier cause.Why not get to know yourself first-your dreams, aspirations, desires, and maybe those of others, if they want you to. If not, it’s not any of your business. It’s. Just. Not. My pastor once imparted some wisdom during a sermon that I carry with me: “Some of you who look down on them will find them sitting beside you after you leave this earth.” He was referring to the LGBT community but regardless of religious affiliation it can be applied to everyone: people of different religious backgrounds, disabilities, races, genders, and any other category I may kick myself about later for failing to remember. Just live your life according to how it makes you feel, and let others do the same.  

No comments:

Post a Comment