Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Intersectionality?

          Intersectionality? When I was first introduced to the word I had absolutely no idea what the term meant or how relevant it was to me, not only as a woman but a black woman. Intersectionality is a term first described by Kimberle Crenshaw to describe the concept that all women experience oppression in varying levels of intensity. It also notes that cultural oppression is intertwined with it  as well. I have never  really considered  myself to be a feminist  but when I look at the definition as described  by Merriam-Webster dictionary, I am. Feminism refers to the theory of political, economic, and  social equality of the sexes. I adamantly support those causes. However that is simply not enough. The intersectional feminist theory supports the idea that all women, regardless of race or class, suffer from some type of oppression. But I do believe that the plight of black women, especially black american women has been much more detrimental than that of other races. Black women have, for the  longest time, been dehumanized, belittles, sexualized, and treated less than. Intersectionality recognizes this, the fact the our oppression as women and as black americans are not separate. In order all women to become fully liberated the fact that privilege exist will have to be acknowledged. And this does not just refer that white privilege which is known do exist in American. This refers to all privilege, may it be race, gender, or class privilege. There has been arguments as to  whether or not black feminism should still exist when intersectionality covers the oppression of the black woman so thoroughly. In my upcoming writings I will focus on supporting my  stance that black feminism is still very much necessary. Intersectionality is very inclusive which is positive trait. It is my belief that it is still important to represent the causes of the black woman. The support that black feminism represents is still a fundamental piece in rebuilding the women, men, and children in the black community.



www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feminism
http://isreview.org/issue/91/black-feminism-and-intersectionality
http://www.palgrave-journals.com/fr/journal/v89/n1/full/fr20084a.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10572435/Intersectional-feminism.-What-the-hell-is-it-And-why-you-should-care.html
www.hamptoninstitution.org

No comments:

Post a Comment